Veterinary Emergency + Critical Care:
Tropicana & Durango - Open 24/7
(702) 262-7070

North Rainbow Veterinary Emergency Hospital:
Now Open!
4445 North Rainbow Blvd, Craig & Rainbow, Las Vegas, NV 89108

Household Batteries

Batteries are seemingly everywhere during this time of year, especially in decorations, electronics, and toys, giving dogs and cats unlimited access. In addition, visitors with hearing aids often leave these batteries loose on tables or bedside stands, forgetting that dogs and cats are attracted to them. Dogs tend to mouth and chew batteries while cats are more likely to bat them around in play. Left untouched, batteries aren’t harmful, and in fact, most swallowed batteries pass through the gastrointestinal tract without incident. If, however, a dog or cat damages one enough to cause leakage or swallows one intact and it becomes lodged or stuck in their esophagus the picture rapidly changes. READ ARTICLE